Thursday, April 22, 2010

Bat Trivia

Back in the '90's, I was a production designer on 'Batman the Animated Series' and all the other Bat-variations that followed, from '91-'98 at Warner Bros. Animation Studio. In 1998, Paul Dini (writer/producer) and Chip Kidd, published the coffee table book 'Batman Animated', through DC Comics. It featured a whole bunch of art and behind-the-scenes stuff from the Batman series. In the book, there's a pic of Bruce Timm's desk, as it appeared in 1997. On the right hand side, circled in white, is a photo I shot of Bruce's wife in '93.

The portrait was actually done as a favor, for one of the BG painters on 'Tiny Toon Adventures', who also designed handmade jewelry. Basically I did 36 pics of Bruce's wife, in the same pose, wearing a variety of earrings. We did this portrait shoot in Los Feliz CA , where I was living at the time.

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I've had that book for years and I have always been curious about that portrait. This behind the scenes glimpse is really cool. Thanks for posting! Also thanks for contributing to one of my all time favorite animated shows. You guys did a stupendous job on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have stared at that picture for hours trying to find out what kind of pens Bruce Timm used. I actually took it with me when I went to buy pens and markers (never found all of them, though) And I used to wonder who the lady in the frame was. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- kudos. I just got given that book and it's an absolute favorite. Bruce Timm's boards are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful work!just what I love: fun and style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome. You should know that your work made up a big portion of my childhood! Rock on with your bad self!

    ReplyDelete